Should your audience change your content?

The internet is a weird place... generally, it's the one area that you prefer to share with strangers than those you know in real life. Obviously this varies from person to person and platform to platform but I for one, feel much more comfortable knowing someone I don't know is watching my videos or reading my blog than someone close to me.

As more people I know in person mention the fact they've read my blog, it makes me more aware of the information I'm sharing. My blog is often my place to ramble about whatever is on my mind, be it positive, negative or indifferent and knowing my family or friends are going to be reading the post does make me more inclined to censor myself and limit what sort of topics I talk about or how in depth I go.

I've definitely not held back about my emotions throughout university, which I think is great for myself to look back on and see how it changes, as well as being upfront to see if anyone else has similar experiences and to reassure those that feel alone that they aren't and hopefully, show how it improves.

It can be quite therapeutic to talk through your emotions and express how you're feeling with no one person watching you as you do so, making awkward eye contact and feeling obliged to comment in an attempt to help. I am terrible at discussing touchy-feely stuff- I can listen and help others as much as possible but I close up when it comes to the things going on in my own head. Somehow, typing it out is a lot easier, whether it gets published or just stays in my notes. However, facing the people who may have read the post is then a little difficult... a weird situation.
This is not to say I don't want family and friends reading my blog or that they should feel uncomfortable or unwelcome to do so, it's open to anyone and it's lovely to receive so much support, which I really wouldn't want to change. It's just an issue that's played on my mind a bit recently as I've considered sharing certain posts and opinions. I guess I have to find a balance and make sure I'm comfortable with everything I'm sharing. Ultimately, it's the approach that should be taken on all social media platforms with anyone, if I wouldn't want someone I know well reading it, then it probably isn't appropriate to be putting out to rest of the world.

I hope this ramble has made some sense to you and that you enjoyed or can possibly relate to this post. If you did and want to see more from me, you can follow my social media links in the top right-hand corner to see when I next upload. Thank you for reading this post.

Love Steph x

No comments