Getting over gym anxiety

Throwing back about five years, having only ever been to a youth gym complete with dance mats, televisions and wii games, stepping foot into a fully functioning gym seemed incredibly overwhelming especially considering my hatred for all things sport at school. Why would I want to enter a space of judgement, for people to look at me not knowing what I'm doing, watch me struggle on the alien machines and amuse themselves over the clear lack of shape I'm in. It was clearly a case of mind over matter and until my mind was at peace with the idea of working out in a public sphere, I was left staying well clear of any and all gyms.

After finally getting the heavy encouragement courage to go as a space to destress during exam season, the fear soon became less of a reality. I stepped my first foot in the gym with a trainer who gave me an induction and created an exercise routine just for me and my needs. Having that explanation and clear focus helped me realise I only needed to worry about what I was doing, just like everybody else in the room would be worrying about their own workouts.

Although the fear didn't completely disappear, each visit got easier and the anxiety got smaller. I became confident in what I was doing and enjoyed the time to work on myself and my health, even pausing some of the other worries buzzing around my head.

Fast forward to now and my gym anxiety is barely existent, I enjoy going to the gym and feel more confident as a result. It may not be perfect and trying a new class or going when it's incredibly busy can be overwhelming but I know how and when to go to suit me and my needs. It's also benefited my massively mentally, I know that even when I don't have the energy to go or don't feel like going, it always helps boost my mood even if only slightly and certainly helps me to de-stress (especially those punch bags!). I must admit, having a personal trainer has made a massive difference and allows me to just go and not think about what I'm doing, just following instructions and then when I do go on my own, I know what kind of exercises or routines I could do. It also helps me to understand how to do things properly (although I still need correcting sometimes!) and helps me to understand what is working, why things work and where I should be feeling it.

With so many similar stories and so many with anxieties about the gym, how can we make the first move and start our gym journey with less anxiety? I spoke to personal trainer Jack Claxton and counsellor Paula to get there advice...


Choose the gym for you

Having big open gyms with equipment all spread out can make someone feel less intimidated and like there aren't any no go zones plus, it's easier to see that everyone is just focused on what they are doing and not paying any attention to others. So visiting different gyms around you and finding one that fits this need can be a good way to reduce the feeling of intimidation.

Induction

Having an initial session with an instructor to make a plan can make a person feel more comfortable because they are with someone, they will confident using the equipment with the assistance available and will have a structure to build upon in other sessions.

Don't go it alone

Going with a friend or choosing a gym where a friend is already a member can help with both ease and motivation. They might even benefit too if they've been looking for a partner to join their routine, they want to make the workout more entertaining or maybe they feel intimidated and want some support as well?

Personal trainers

Finding a gym with personal trainers and paying the extra for them can not only make starting and re-joining easier but it also helps to sustain that start or return. Looking more long term, by scheduling in with somebody, you're more likely to stick to those plans and ensure you keep up your routines. Plus, you have an expert on hand to ask questions, get instructions on how to use equipment and to create workouts for you so you don't have to think on your feet.

Time it right

If it's an option, go in the day as there are more varied levels of fitness and less intense gym goers that can make the gym seem more overwhelming. It can often be quieter in the day which can seem easier and more welcoming.

Classes

If you like being amongst people, join a gym with classes, book into a few to try and find what suits you best. Having booked a session, it can also make you less likely to change your mind.

Why are you going?

Known your purpose... do you want to fit back into that dress that's too tight, play outside with your younger relatives or maybe lower your blood pressure? If you know why you're doing something, it makes it easier to go and do it regardless of the fear.

Get familiar

If you're anxious about joining a gym, remember that a lot of anxiety is formed from the unknown so consider going to a place you know, for example, a gym in a hotel that you've been to for events before or where there are people you know around. If neither of those is an option, go and talk to someone at the gym, explain how you're feeling and ask if you can sit in the building and have a coffee while you get used to the surroundings. Most council leisure centres will have facilities to do this and private gyms will be grateful for the custom.

Just do it

If you're a spontaneous person then maybe grabbing the bull by the horns is best. I know when I went back to the gym after a break, that's what I did. I had been thinking I should join a gym then one day decided to go and have a look around, I loved how it felt so before I could myself out of it, I joined there and then.

Trial and error

Remember there are many healthy activities out there and it's easier to stick at things if you enjoy them so if you're worried about restarting or starting a new fitness regime, the more you enjoy it, the more likely you are to continue, so test things out and find the activity that's right for you.

Taking the plunge can be challenging but with so many ways to ease the mind and find what suits you, overcoming gym anxieties is not only possible but easier than it first seems.

Have you found this useful? Do you have any tips to add? Let me know in the comments! Plus, to see more from me, you can follow my socials which are linked at the top of the blog and in the sidebar. Don't forget, I'm also uploading on my YouTube channel every Monday at 4pm! Thanks for reading this post, I hope you enjoyed it and found it useful.

Love, Steph x

7 comments

  1. Great tips! I have such bad anxiety at the gym! I actually found a gym that lets you work out completely in private, and it's my favorite thing! I don't have to worry about anyone judging me or trying to talk to me when I'm out of breath. If your gym doesn't completely private areas, a gym with different nooks instead of a wide open gym can help with that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd not heard of that as an option before but that sounds like another great tip for people! x

      Delete
  2. Intriguing post. I Have Been pondering about this issue, so much obliged for posting. Really cool post.It "s truly extremely pleasant and Useful post.Thanks Fat Disruptor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely amazing posting! Heaps of significant information and inspiration, the two of which we as a whole need!Relay welcome your work. เว็บพนันออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blogs are easily accessible and quite enlightening so keep doing the amazing work guys. baby sleep aids

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog was extremely helpful. I really appreciate your kindness in sharing this with me and everyone else! how to start a payment gateway company

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this post,And I figure that they having a great time to peruse this post,they might take a decent site to make an information,thanks for sharing it to me. become a credit card processor

    ReplyDelete